Let's talk pillows. Pillows are such a great way to add color, texture and depth to your space. It's an easy fix to a room lacking that special "something", however, how to combine pillows to create a cohesive, "styled-by" look can be a daunting task. Have no fear my friends- there are a couple tried and true formulas to base your combinations off of. I'm going to outline them in this post, and at the end, provide you with some fun combinations (pillow trios under $150, most under $100, because who doesn't love great style for less?!)
First step (pre-formulas) would be to pick a color palette and stick to it. Here's a direct link to our color theory post -- going super duper in depth with some serious guidance to color mixing and the visual effects of a specific color combination. I went to art school. I need to make detailed posts like this to justify my major, and my loans . . . On to the formulas!
This is our first, most simplistic formula. It's easy. Pair a solid, with a pattern, and you're good to go. Of course, refer to our color post where we go more in-depth on how to pair colors. For the purposes of this post, we're going to stick with a basic neutral color palette with pops of deep blue as our accent color.
Now here's where it can get dicy -- when you add a third to the mix. There are a couple ways to address this -
There are a million and one combinations we can go for here. The main thing to keep in mind is distribution and coordination. It's not always going to work out with 6 large-scale patterns in one set up. Same goes for 6 novelty pieces in a row. Making sure you have an even break down of pattern in your lineup helps the competition look streamlined & coordinated. In the end, you could end up like the pillow wiz unknown designer in the picture below, and create an arrangement that makes absolutely no logical sense -- but totally 100% works! We'll get into that in another post but for now, let's focus on the basics.
Inspired by the above image, I pulled together some fun trios of pillows under $150.
Check them out and let me know what you think!
- PILLOW SOURCE LIST -
- Banana Leaf Pillow, Black & White Stripes Lumbar, Dalmatian Throw Pillow
- Stitch Triangle Throw Pillow, Silk Burgundy Lumbar, Woven Turkish Throw Pillow
- Textured Chenille Throw Pillow, Bali Lumbar, Nautical Stripe Throw Pillow
- Velvet Cotton Throw Pillow, Green Ikat Lumbar, B&W Guatemalan Throw Pillow
- Striped Mustard Throw Pillow, Gold Ikat Lumbar,Cream Mongolian Throw Pillow
- Solid Blue Throw Pillow, Silk Ikat Lumbar, Ikat Stripe Throw Pillow
- Coral Velvet Throw Pillow, Flamingos In Flight Lumbar, Dotted Coral Throw Pillow
- Gold Leopard Throw Pillow, Hypno Lumbar, Black Mongolian Throw Pillow